claire

claire

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lost In Translation

We just spent a perfect week in Milwaukee. Although it's been 2 years since we moved back home to California, Wisconsin will always be this family's first home. I have so much to say about our trip. And I have over 300 pictures to sort through and a few I'm sure to post. But before I do I just have to share a brief interaction I had on our trip. I made a quick trip into the grocery store one afternoon. We needed a few essentials. And some chap stick. I forgot the chap stick until I reached the front of the checkout.

Cashier: Did you find everything okay?
Me: Actually, I was wondering where I could find chap stick.
Cashier: Chap stick?? Good question. Um, are you looking for one? Or a pack? Or ... (he seemed confused).
Me: Just one.
Cashier (looking at the bager): Do you know where we'd have chap stick?
Bager: Hmmm. If we have them I think they'd be over here. Follow me.
 
(He glanced quickly down the pasta and rice aisle and then walked toward the customer service counter)

Bager (asking two employees standing behind the counter): Do you know if we have chap stick?

Employee #1: Hmmm. Well we sometimes have them by the sushi.

Me: (laughing out loud) Really? That's funny.
 
(and then a light bulb goes off)

Me: Oh wait. Do you think I'm saying chOpsticks?!? I'm saying chaaaaap stick (making sure to enunciate my most nasally, Wisconsin worthy "a").

Employee #1: Oh chaaap stick. Of course we have chaaap stick. Um. You're not from here are you?

Me: Well I was for 7 years.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so funny! I have a sister and a best friend that live in Wisconsin and that is exactly how they talk! "oh! I'm frAm WiscAnsin!" I have to laugh every time cause they're both transplants but the accent rubbed off on them so fast!

    ReplyDelete