claire

claire

Monday, September 10, 2012

Roughing It

A friend recently blogged about her camping trip. She, her husband and their 9 month old baby were dropped by plane "way out" in Alaska for a few days of tent camping and hiking. I read her blog entry as I was taking a break from packing for 2 days and nights of camping in Lassen national park. And can I just say, I am in awe of my friend. They essentially took tents and sleeping bags. We took, well, more than that. I'm a wee bit embarrassed to say what all we took. Let's just say we left all electronic devices at home (other than our phones that lost service at camp) so I felt justified that we were just taking the necessities. Although I will admit that the Barron's have a pretty loose definition of what's a necessity.

My friend went on to say she worried the entire time that her family would meet a bear. She actually agonized over it a bit. I'm happy to report their adventure was bear free. Only to cross paths with one sitting in their driveway when they returned home. Funny the things we worry about. I worried the entire time that Claire would poop through all the clothes I brought her and the bed she was sleeping on. I'm happy to report she didn't. She did however poop (diarrhea) in the tub she and her brothers where sharing within the first 15 minutes of our homecoming. The beauty of it was all 3 had already showered the dirt away but I was just giving them extra soaking time to make sure all the dirt in their creases washed away.

We had a fantastic time on our trip. We were blessed with the company of 90 people from our wonderful church. The trip was even catered (while my friends munched on smoked Alaskan salmon and wild blueberries). And when all was said and done we returned home dirtier, happier, fatter and blessed with deeper friendships and treasured family memories.


Fishing on Lake Manzanita.

Dirt. Lots and lots of dirt.

Henry spells quality time C-A-R-D-S. And Matt is great to always play with him.

These fallen trees provided hours of fun, free, dirty entertainment for the kids.


Getting ready for S'mores!

Claire's sweet, dirty hands.

Crazy mountain men.


Dirty. And ready for a nap.

Playing in the tent was as fun as playing in the woods.

Early morning fire and fishy crackers.

Waiting for breakfast on our last day. I love this rugged bunch.

4 comments:

  1. We did the same and had a blast (minus church friends and air mattress! Ha ha!) God's creation is a wonderful gift!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And probably minus a pack n play, 2 bikes and helmets, a BOB, fishing poles, stuffed animals, 3 suitcases, paints and paper, MAD LIBS, UNO and skipbo too huh? :) :) Yes. It is so great to sneak away into the woods.

      Delete
  2. you did great! You DID IT! I love all the runny noses!!!

    I am a tad jealous that Henry Can and Will play games, but Shame on me for going there....

    Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runny noses is right! They appeared out of nowhere the day we got there. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete