claire

claire

Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Word From the Boss

I received my job performance evaluation last week.


Phew! What a relief. Because that evaluation could have gone much differently. Let's be honest, I don't frequently hear those glowing reviews from my dependents. They are very quick to tell me when the food I make is gross. They don't hesitate to talk back when I ask them to do something.  They certainly let me know when they have better ideas than me. But they don't often chime in with, "I love you mommy ... you're the best mom ever."

When I was a working woman, before I became a stay-at-home-and-work-my-tail-off-woman, I received job performance evaluations all the time. Every job I've had came with an evaluation of some sort. My college job, my teaching jobs, my managerial jobs. I received regular feedback on my job performance every step of the way. And then I became a mom - the single most important job I've ever had - and the performance evaluations stopped.
 
 
Some days, I'm just fine with figuring this gig out on my own. But lots of days, I just want a little feedback. Something. Anything, really. And not from the little people who benefit (or not) from my tactics. But from one slightly more mature who sees, day in and day out, just how I handle this bunch of Barron's. And on those days, which are usually filled with a fair amount of self-doubt, I have to remind myself that I am not alone. That there is one who see my actions, knows my heart and hears my thoughts. And not only is He watching me. He is most certainly in my corner, lovingly cheering me on as I tackle my highest calling.
 
So when Henry secretly records a video to tell me, "You're the best mom ever" I not only hear his sweet words. I also choose to hear the voice of God encouraging me along the way.
 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,  since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24











A

No comments:

Post a Comment